Let’s go for the European P2P-FSO project!
P2P-FSO (Platform To Platform – Free Space Optical link) is the name of the new European defense project won by Nexvision and its partners.
On the battlefield, radio communications are widely used to exchange information or data between all kinds of platforms (land, sea) autonomous or not.
Today, data throughput is limited, communications are often overcrowded and can be easily jammed. The P2P-FSO project proposes an innovative solution to address these drawbacks.
It consists in particular in creating a high speed optical communication channel of 500Mbit/s up to 2Gbit/s (about 10 times higher than what is currently done) and this on ranges going from 10m to 25km. Using the SWIR (Short Wave InfraRed) band, the system will be composed of SWIR sensors in transmission and reception, mounted on gyro stabilized pod.
The European consortium in charge of developing this innovative system is composed of the best in each field:
- NEXVISION | France | Leader of consortium, will contribute to the optronic design (laser emitter, light sensors, signal processing and pod stabilization)..
- ASE OPTICS EUROPE | Spain | Will design and prototype the reception specific optics.
- HELLENIC INSTRUMENTS | Greece | Will integrate gyro stabilized platform mounted system for Land and Sea use case demonstration.
- LAMBDA-X | Belgium | Will design and prototype the emission specific optics.
- AMPHINICY | Luxembourg | Will design the appropriate Cybersecurity provisions.
There are many applications:
- Force protection
- In-theater logistic support
- C4ISR (intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance)
More info on the dedicated website : https://p2pfso.eu/
Funded by the European Union.
Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union.
Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.